Crompton

No products found in this collection.

Spinner
Crompton

In 1878, the company was founded by Colonel Crompton, a British electrical engineer, industrialist and inventor who designed and developed a range of lamps and lights. These were installed within prestigious locations such as Windsor Castle, Holyrood Palace & Kings Cross station - creating some of the earliest electric lightings in the UK. 

In 1927 Crompton Lighting merged with Frank Parkinson of Leeds to form Crompton Parkinson, who became an industry leader until the acquisition by Hawker Siddeley aerospace group in 1968. This acquisition diversified the product offering to provide cable, fuses, batteries, and metering instruments as well as lighting.

In 1995, following a period of control under the BTR group, Crompton Lighting was subject to a management buy-out; resulting in considerable growth in Crompton luminaires and lamps, later attracting the interest of Cooper Industries Inc.

In parallel to the growth of Crompton, Cooper looked to extend their portfolio in related areas, leading to the acquisition of two brands with strong history and expertise in Emergency Lighting - Menvier in 1997 and JSB in 1999.

In 2000, Cooper Industries went on to acquire Crompton Lighting, bringing it together with Menvier and JSB into a single business unit to form Cooper Lighting and Safety. Building upon the combined expertise of this history the company went from strength to strength, providing many opportunities for mains and emergency lighting installations within the UK and beyond.

In the years following, Cooper Industries' strengths were noticed by Eaton, who fully acquired the Cooper Industries business units in 2012. In turn, creating a company with an unrivalled product portfolio, global reach and expertise to support each application.